Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. The free end of the cords, thongs, or tapes on which a book has been sewn, that are used to attach the boards (or case) to the next block. Tapes may be glued to the inside surface of the boards, or they may be glued into boards that have been split horizontally (or between two boards glued together); this is "split-board binding," that was at one time the traditional method for library binding. In library binding today, when tapes are used, the slips are glued to the overhanging spine lining cloth and both are then glued to the insides of the boards of the case. See also: SPLIT BOARDS . When cords or thongs are used, as in craft binding, they are strung through holes punched in the boards, in which case they are said to be "laced-in." See also: HOLING OUT ; LACING-IN . 2. A term sometimes applied to the paper forms used in writing instructions to the binder. 3. Matter not set up into pages, but pulled as proofs, on long slips of paper called galley proofs. See also: PROOF (2) . (156 , 236 , 335 )

[Search all CoOL documents]