Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. A fluid or semi-solid mixture of a pigment, such as clay and water. 2. Any printed leaf considerably smaller than the leaf of the book to which it is attached or inserted into, including errata sheets, a CANCEL (1) notice, and the like. Also called "slip cancel." 3. The ease with which papers or boards slide over one another. Too much "slip" is undesirable in paper because it then becomes more difficult to stack, whereas too little is also undesirable because it makes the material too difficult to sort and handle. (69 , 222 )

[Search all CoOL documents]