Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


The plain, colored, fancy, or marbled paper attached to the inside of the board of a book after it has been covered, or when it is cased-in. The pastedown serves several purposes: 1) it hides the raw edges of the covering material where it is turned over the edges of the board; 2) it forms the hinge between the text block and the board or case; and 3) in edition and library binding, particularly the former. the pastedown and hinge are frequently the only means by which the text block is secured to its case. If the pastedown is laid down independently of, and is separate from, the flyleaf, it is called a DOUBLURE (1) , in which case it is joined to the flyleaf by means of joint, usually of leather. The pastedown is frequently referred to as the "board paper." It is also sometimes called the "endpaper" (singular), "end lining," "end sheet" (singular), or "lining paper." See also: PASTING-DOWN OPEN ;PASTING-DOWN SHUT .

(83 , 237 )

[Search all CoOL documents]