Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

Oxford hollow

A particular form of the HOLLOW consisting of a simple flat paper tube which is glued to the spine of the text block on one side, and to the inside of the spine of the covers, leaving a hollow opening between. The term presumably derives from the fact that Oxford binders were the first to use it, namely for leather-bound Bibles. It is actually a ONE ON AND ONE OFF hollow. (140 )

[Search all CoOL documents]