Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. A binding ornamentation on the spine or covers of a book, either in gold or blind, consisting of straight lines that meet but do not pass beyond the vertical panel or "run-up" lines on either side. A fillet or pallet may be used to make the lines; however, the fillet is not generally used on the spine of a book except when executing the RUN-UP GILT BACK . 2. The juncture at the corners of the turn-ins edged to an angle of 45. See: CORNER MITERING ;NICKED CORNER . 3. The connection at the angles of an outer frame to an inner frame or panel by the diagonal use of a fillet or roll. (161 , 183 , 236 , 335 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://