Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

marble transfer

A marble pattern that has been transferred from ordinary marbled paper, or a marbled paper made expressly for transfer purposes, usually to the edges of a book. The transfer of ordinary marbled paper involves coating the edge of the book with an egg size somewhat thicker than the size used for gilding, placing the surface of the marbled paper against the edge, and then applying dilute hydrochloric acid to the back of the paper. When the design appears clearly through the paper, the marble is transferred by rubbing or beating the paper. Marbled paper made especially for transfer is treated with rectified ethyl alcohol (spirit of wine), pressed on the edge and daubed with hot water. Transfer marbling is still done to some extent on blankbooks, dictionaries, etc. (236 )

[Search all CoOL documents]