Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


A cotton or linen fabric, usually in plain weave and heavily sized or glazed, and, when used in bookbinding, gummed. The holland is used in a technique of library rebinding in which a sewing machine automatically feeds two narrow strips of gummed cloth in such a manner that the sewing passes through the holland and the paper. The book to be sewn is prepared as for oversewing, i.e., the leaves are divided into thin "sections," which are run through the sewing machine one at a time, with a strip of gummed holland being sewn simultaneously to each side of the "section." After all of the "sections" have been sewn, the strips of holland are moistened, and the book is jogged and then pressed until the gum has dried. The strips of holland hold the "sections" together along the binding edge. This technique is sometimes employed when the paper of the book is too embrittled, or otherwise weakened, to allow oversewing; however, it is seldom very successful, as the paper usually fails at the juncture of paper and holland. (339 )

[Search all CoOL documents]