Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. A curved block placed between the endpapers of a book and its covers while the leather is being polished, so as to counteract any warpage which may have occurred due to the dampening of the leather while finishing. 2. Pages of type metal and illustrations, arranged in proper order for the printed sheet and locked in a metal frame called a "chase," ready for printing or for making an electrotype or stereotype. (12 , 115 )

[Search all CoOL documents]