Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. The bookbinder or gilder who performs the processes of polishing the leather, lettering. and embellishing, which are carried out on a hand-bound book subsequent to forwarding. In France, it is not unusual for the two operations—i.e., forwarding and finishing—to he performed by different persons: in England and the United States. on the other hand, the two are usually done by the same craftsman. except in commercial hand binding. 2. A machine used to apply varnish, lacquer, or other fluid to covering materials by means of a spray or roller, or a printing or blocking plate. 3. A term sometimes applied to flat or cylindrical polishing tools, e.g., a BURNISHER (2) . (158. 173 )

[Search all CoOL documents]