Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

burnisher ( burnishers )

See illustration

1. One who burnishes the edges of a book. 2. The tools used to burnish the edges of a book. They are made of metal, agate (quartz), or bloodstone set in handles. The bloodstone type is the best and also the most expensive. Burnishers are generally available in two basic shapes—flat and toothed. They are relatively delicate tools and chip easily if handled roughly; they may be kept smooth and in good condition by rubbing them on the flesh side of a piece of leather coated with whiting, or, if too rough to be smoothed in this manner, by rubbing them on a zinc-lined board coated with a small amount of flour or emery mixed with machine oil. (66 , 99 , 278 )

[Search all CoOL documents]