Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

blocking foil

A thin plastic film with a high vacuum deposit of gold or other metal and backed by a pressure-sensitive adhesive. White and colored pigments are also available. They are used in the same way as gold leaf, the impression being obtained by means of a heated die, block, type, etc. Blocking foils are used extensively in library and edition binding. (81 , 92 , 161 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://