FW: Fw: starch

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:09 AM
Subject: starch

Hello Marie anne,

I have experience in the matter as I am conserving 450 starched coiffes and 200 collars from Britanny women costumes, over a period of 4 years. I have conserved a great number of bonnets or like as well. All theses objets are starched differently than the men collars that are indeed looking and staying like cardboard whatever you do to them!
However , it is easy to remove starch from all these white objets you refer to, even the most stubborn will become supple. You need to let them soak in successive bathes of tépid or even cold demineralised water without detergent. The starch produce a milky water that you need to change every 20 minutes  . In my expérience three baths are enough. Then  you proceed with the normal conservation washing procedures.
You just need to be very careful in the handling of the objects as they have  often other components like extremely fine linen ot some lace or possibly silk.
 It is also important to realise that most of these objects have been washed many times and are well used .  Multiple baths may render them fragile while in the water. I use a net to support them in the tray or to handle them outside the water.
I feel an enzyme treatment is not necessary or appropriate in this case
In the case of some items, a small amount of starch will remain and will be "reanimated" if you use a warmish iron over a paper or a fine cloth.
Most of the time the fabric is free of starch.
Which brings us to the other part of your question.
It is not really a conservation practice  to starch a object. It is organic, prone to insects and deterioration. The starch being effective with heat, you risk various stages of yelloying or worse burning. In any case , the fabric will yellow immediatly or/and later.

I agree it is not easy to present these objects once de- starched. I use many sorts of "tricks"i;e independant supports made of conservation material or "naturally" stiff material: melinex, net, organza, organdi . It all depends the shape , fabric or degree of lightness and transparency of the object. I do a sort of a double of the bonnet and rest the object on it without pins .

I hope this is of help
Patricia

Vivien Chapman
Head of Objects Conservation
National Museums Liverpool
Tel: 0151 478 4841
Fax: 0151 478 4990

www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk

National Museums Liverpool Legal Disclaimer:
This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error please take no action based upon any information contained within it and delete it immediately without retaining a copy.

WARNING: This email has been checked by National Museums Liverpool for the presence of computer viruses.
However, National Museums Liverpool will not accept any liability and all recipients are advised to carry out their own virus checks upon receipt.

  National Museums Liverpool,  Textiles & Organics,  National Conservation Centre
Whitechapel,  Liverpool,  L1 6HZ  United Kingdom