Re: 1. Past mould infestation on costumes

Dear All

thank you very much for the replies. Although the photos you have seen may not be the most characteristic ones, I am afraid it is mold.
All of the incidents found are of old, not active mold apart from one case which showed evidence of a very light and recent mold attack. The tests undertaken in situ did show mold.  I am waiting for a HEPA filtter to arrive so I can mechanically remove as much as I possible can from the surfaces on all costumes. All the costumes will be placed in a seperate isolated room with low RH (around 40%), from the rest of the collection and checked regularly. All the collection was checked and no problem was found anywhere else. RH and Temperature are very stable and within all acceptable standards of conservation. None of the pieces is planned to be displayed so no treatment will be undertaken and no further humidity of any kind by any source will be introduced for the next two years. In the meantime further analysis of the samples collected will be done.

Thank you.

K.Chatziantoniou
Textile Conservator
Museum of Islamic Art
Doha
Qatar

Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!