Re: Dyeing wool roving

Dear Rebecca,

This is Tom Klaas from Testfabrics, Inc.

Several hair dye manufacturers (like Clairol/P&G) use our wool fabrics and dye skeins to develop shades so it does work-obviously wool substrates are cheaper than actual human hair (which we also sell).

You also might want to try using acid dyes, the common dye used for most wool dyeings-reactives will also work.  You can get both from:

Aljo Manufacturing Co Inc

www.aljodye.com

81 Franklin St # 1
New York, NY 10013
(212) 226-2878

they sell small amounts for craft purposes and may be able to provide some 'how to' advice as well.

Testfabrics, Inc. sells dyeable wool yarn-fairly fine, 2/26's-it is tricky to dye skeins without tangling but once you get the hang of it, you might want to think about that approach. If you'd like a sample of some 5 gram worsted wool skeins, let me know:

info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you have any questions, let us know.

Good luck!

Tom Klaas