Re: life span of vinyl fabric

Hello Jennifer,
Yvonne Shashoua did extensive research into PVC (vinyl) for her PhD.  I
found a summary of her research at the following site;
http://www.natmus.dk/cons/reports/2001/ys_phd/pvcphd.htm
She states 'Degradation of objects was first detected within 10-35
years of acquisition.'

She also has an article 'Deterioration and conservation of plasticized
poly(vinyl chloride) objects' in the ICOM-CC 13th Triennial Meeting, Rio
de Janeiro, 22-27 September 2002: preprints.  Unfortunately I don't have
a copy of that article.

Hope this is helpful
Joanne Hackett
V&A

>>> HadleyJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 03/07/2008 16:18 >>>
Hello all,

  Do any of you have, or know where I can find information on the life
span of vinyl fabric?  My colleagues have suggested will last 100 years,
but I thought it had more of a 10 year life span.
Thanks much!

Jennifer Hadley
Museum of Church History and Art
Registrar/Textile Conservator