Fwd: Transparency

Begin forwarded message:
From: Jennifer Barnett <reginatextilia@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 April 2008 09:49:15 GMT+02:00
To: Textile Conservators <TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Transparency

Dear Stephanie,

I welcome your study on the subject as it is a difficult one and I don't recall there being any specific literature on the subject.
Good Luck!

Obviously the issues are not only the transparency of the backing fabric but also its draping property (or softness or flexibility) and weight which should be equal to or less than the textile object, depending on how important this property is in the given case. I have found fine nylon net (see other discussions on nylon net) to be the most transparent of the usual options but it can be less flexible than many fine textiles.

There is something to be said for the adaption of traditional darning/repair techniques using threads and the more recent 'sticky thread' treatment as these can provide more minimal, less intrusive and less visually obvious results. Of course the nature and future use of the textile object must be taken into account as 'minimal & less intrusive' solutions can be less robust than those providing a backing.

Another aspect is the question of the necessity to treat a particular area of damage. Smaller holes or tears that are not in danger of becoming larger through handling or display and that are not obvious I would say do not have to be treated.

I was trained at the Textile Conservation Centre in the UK in the early 1980's and so the use of nylon net started early. I have found it to be very versatile and easy to use. Silk net 'feels'  and drapes completely differently and I have very rarely found it to be more suitable: it is also less fine than nylon net. I have also used silk crepeline under transparent textiles but while providing a better foundation for stitching, its lack of transparency was a disadvantage. Stabiltex I have found to have no affinity with natural fibres: it rarely 'clings' to the textile as natural fibres do so the support function must be less.

For overlays, nylon net is much less obvious than silk crepeline which tends to 'deaden' the appearance of a textile in my view.

Hope this is of use.

Best wishes,

Jennifer Barnett

Regina Textilia
not only historic textiles conservation,
research, training and consultancy
but also translations

Tournebise, rte de Dancé
FR - 42260 Bully