FW: Usage of Mohair in the late 1800's

Please respond directly to
Lisa Heath
onehappyheart@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: Lisa Heath [mailto:onehappyheart@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 10:05 PM
To: Jessica Oplak
Subject: Usage of Mohair in the late 1800's

Hello,
 My name is Lisa Heath and I am a living historian of the Civil War era. I am trying desperately to find as many articles and/or resources proving the usage of Mohair in weaving during that time. I have researched that the Angora goats were brought to America by the Spaniards and again in the 1830's when they were re-introduced in to our agriculture. I know that during the Civil War, the blockades halted the accessibility of ready made textiles, forcing citizens to break out their spinning wheels and looms again. This forced them to obviously start spinning, weaving and knitting anything and everything that they possibly could. I am meeting with resistance on this theory from a couple of board members of our group. I would be VERY appreciative for any assistance that you could offer me in helping to educate my group members. We strive to be as authentic as possible in our presentations. Thank you again for any emails, faxes or mailings that you may be able to send! My fax # is 252-293-9888 and my mailing address is 1801 Dover Str. Wilson, NC 27893.
 Sincerely, Lisa Heath

Textile Specialty Group
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works