Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 9:55 AM
Subject: Green dye and weighted silk

I am forwarding a question from a friend to the list-serve.  I wasn't sure, so I hope that some of you can be of some help!

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I am in charge of our county museum association (like a co-op).  I had one of our museum people give a presentation on care of textiles.  He said that the bright green fabric you see in turn-of-the-century quilts is usually deteriorating because the dye was made with arsenic.  I know there was a green dye that contained arsenic, but I am wondering if it is indeed in this type of fabric and if it is would this cause deterioration.  He also said that they made weighted silk with arsenic, and he said nothing about metals.   I thought maybe you could set me straight on this matter.

Thanks for your help.  Hope all is well with you, let me know how everything is!

Sharon

Jennifer Hadley
Collections Care
Museum of Church History and Art