Contact film

Hello all,

   We have two batiks that someone thought would look nice ironed onto contact film and then stuck to particle board!  We tried using a hair dryer to remove the film, but the plastic melts before the adhesive, making a terrific mess.  The dye is fugitive in water, but not in alcohol.  Denatured alcohol doesn't seem to have any effect on the adhesive, but isopropyl alcohol has some effect.  We were able to safely remove the batik from the backing board, and most of the film from the textile with this method.  However, there is a stip along the edge that seems to be 2-3 time stronger than the rest.  The alcohol is not having any effect in this area.  Any mechanical removal has a detrimental effect on the textile.  Does anyone have any suggestions???  The batik is off the back board so it can be stored how it is, but I would really like to remove the remaining contact film.

Thanks,

Jennifer Hadley
Collections Care
Museum of Church History and Art