Re: Painted Tapestries

I have seen an Italian painted "tapestry" depicting one of the scened from the 16th century Life of Christ series at the Vatican. The owner told me also that it was common in the 19th century to copy tapestries in this manner. I didn't verify any of this information as I didn't get the project.

What my report says is that this tapestry measures 11 x 117 inches. It is one single piece of machine woven warp-faced rep fabric. The warp is a fine cotton and the weft is a three-ply course linen. There are side selvedges indicating that the fabric had a 117" loom width.

I would love to know more about these also.

Best,
Camille Breeze