Re: selvages

Dear Joan (et al),

You might try Textiles in America by Florence M. Montgomery ISBN 0 393 01703 6.  While there is no chapter heading specifically addressing selvages, selvage particulars are addressed for the many fabrics discussed in the book.  The timespan is primarily colonial but includes domestic as well as imported fabrics in use at the time (1650 - 1870).  Good luck with your search.

Jane Hammond
Textile Conservator
Cleveland Heights, OH