Re: selvages

I just checked out that book today with a bookseller and learned it is not about fabrics but about the cultural changes in our society.

harby ezzeldeen wrote:
Dear Joan
First of all happy easter , you can order this book from this  website www.amazon.com
     Selvages and Biases: The Fabric of History in American Culture

Publisher: Cornell University press (August 1987)
       ISBN-10: 0801419247
      ISBN-13: 978-0801419249
    accept my best wishes
        Harby Ezzeldeen

Joan Kiplinger <jkip@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone know a good book or article on the history of selvages? I am specifically trying to find out why some wools have a different color selvage than the fabric and why some cottons, silks and linens have varying widths of blue stripes in the selvage area. I think the stripes may have something to do with a code for manufacturer or mill origin.

Would appreciate any suggestions and sources.

Thanx, Joan

Harby Ezzeldeen Hassan Ahmed.
B.A, M.A Historical Textiles Conservation.
Textiles Conservator.
Assistant Lecturer- Conservation Department-
Faculty of Archeology- Cairo University- Egypt.
Ph.D Candidate “Biotechnology Application in Textiles Conservation”.
Department of Chemical Engineering- National Technical University of Athens-Greece.

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/748 - Release Date: 4/5/2007 3:33 PM