Re: dyeing small amounts

Have you thought of reducing the percentage of your dye stock solution?  Rather than making up 0.2% which seems to be the standard (at least when we were being taught!), make up 0.1%, then the quantities you'll need to be measuring out will be larger and therefore you can achieve greater accuracy (smaller margin of error).

Equally, I suggest *increasing* the percentage of dye stock solution for dyeing bulk: the quantities required can be quite large which can then wreak havoc with your attempts at maintaining a particular temperature!  (...unless you're extremely organised and heat your dyes up to the required temperature *before* adding them to your dye bath!)  So if you have a higher concentration, you'll need smaller amounts of stock solution = less impact on temp!

????Kim Thüsing????

Cadwraeth Tecstiliau
Sain Ffagan: Amgueddfa Werin Cymru
(Amgueddfa Cymru)
Caerdydd CF5 6XB

Textile Conservation
St Fagans: National History Museum
(Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales)
Cardiff CF5 6XB

Tel./Ffôn 029 20 573 449
Fax./Ffacs 029 20 573 490
Switchboard 029 20 573 500
kim.thuesing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P Ystyriwch yr amgylchedd cyn argraffu'r e-bost hwn.
P Please consider the environment before printing this eMail