Re: dyeing small amounts

Shirley,

Yes - I've used a graduated 1ml disposable medical syringe and it  works very well. Since 1 ml of water weighs 1 g, you can always double check the accuracy by weighing out small volumes of water onto a good balance that reads to a couple of decimal points.

Jan

Jan Vuori
Textile Conservator
Canadian Conservation Institute
1030 Innes Road
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada K1A 0M5
Tel: (613) 998-3721 ext. 275
Fax: (613) 998-4721
email: jan_vuori@xxxxxxxxx
www.cci-icc.gc.ca

Shirley Ellis <shirleye@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Textile Conservators <TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

03/29/2007 08:59 AM

Please respond to
Textile Conservators <TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
dyeing small amounts

Has anyone ever used a syringe for measuring out the very small amounts
of dye stock solution?  For example 0.2 mls?  Seems like a good idea but
maybe there is some obvious reason not to that I can't see.

Shirley

Shirley Ellis
Textile Conservator
Royal Ontario Museum