Re: storage bins

Hello all,
Your responses are very greatly appreciated.  One of the committee members uses the Sterilite containers for quilt storage and tears a length of muslin (washed) long enough to stick out each end, and uses that to line the two sides and across the bottom. This person said this supposedly acts as a wick to insure against humidity changes.

We would not replace all our cardboard boxes, but would use these new containers as the collection grows.  The customer service rep for Sterilite sent me more information:
"Most of our products are made of Polypropylene plastic.  Some are Polyethylene. No PVC's, Latex, Teflon, Phthalates chemicals or antibacterial chemicals are used in our
manufacturing process. The bottoms are manufactured from Clear Polypropylene and the tops from Hi-Impact Polypropylene. I hope this is helpful and please let us know if we may
be of further assistance."  And she included MSDS for the clear polypropylene and the high-impact polypropylene.

I did have concerns about the melting issue if there were a fire.  Temperature buildup happens fast in a room, even without flames.  I'll do some research on that aspect.

One reason for using these containers is that some of our quilts are small wallhangings and some are HUGE puffy quilts from the 1980s and 1990s.  We could select a container based on the object size, and not have to buy 20+ to get a price in our budget range.  And, as one of you pointed out, they are available locally.

If anyone has any additional thoughts - especially about static buildup - I do hope you will post them.

Thank you all again.

Judy Schwender

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.