Re: Textile storage conditions

The cooler temperature should be fine.  The important thing is trying to control the humidity, which should be below 50%.  We have refrigerated storage for most of our textiles and I keep the temperature around 50 – 52 degrees FH and run a dehumidifier in the summer to keep the humidity between 40 and 50%.

From: Textile Conservators [mailto:TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Diana Zlatanovski
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:06 PM
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Textile storage conditions

Hello
I manage a collection of textiles.  The HVAC system in our storage areas is programmed to keep the temperature between 60 and 65 degrees.  Often, it is on the low end of that.  I've always been taught that between 68 and 72 degrees is, in general, the ideal temperature for collections storage.  Can anyone tell me if the lower range is for any reason more appropriate for textiles?  Or if it is detrimental to them?

Thanks,
Diana

Diana Zlatanovski
Assistant Curator