From: Textile Conservators [mailto:TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Judy Schwender
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 9:47 AM
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: carpet cleaning in galleries

Hello all,
The Museum of the American Quilter's Society is at the point where our quilt gallery carpets need to be cleaned.  The maintenance staff is leaning towards Rug Doctor Steam Cleaner with Spotblock.  It's a hot water system (www.rugdoctor.com).  I obtained the MSDS from their website and it appears that it would be suitable.

I plan to use box fans to increase the air flow in the gallery overnight after the cleaning is complete to speed up the drying process.

Does anyone have any opinions about this product based on the MSDS?  Does anyone have other products or systems they have used that they prefer?  If you have any thoughts at all about steam cleaning gallery carpets, please respond.

Thank you in advance.

Judy Schwender
Curator of Collections / Registrar
Museum of the American Quilter's Society
215 Jefferson Street
Paducah, KY 42001
(270) 442-8856 ext. 30
Fax: (270) 442-5448