Re: seeking vintage burgundy silk velvet, short napped

Thanks for your response, and the notes we have recieved from others.  The successful replacement will have to fit some tight perameters to be successful, but we have some good leads now.  Thanks again,

Kory Berrett
Berrett Conservation Studio

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:36:58 -0600 "Dr. Elizabeth A. Richards" <elizabeth.richards@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I know where you can get some dark burgundy mohair plush.  Is this of interest.  My upholstery person has it - squirreled away in his stash - because I was looking for burgundy velet yesterday when I saw him'

Elizabeth Richards
Professor Emerita, University of Alberta
-----Original Message-----
From: Textile Conservators [mailto:TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Patricia Keller
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:35 AM
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: seeking vintage burgundy silk velvet, short napped

Dear List Friends,

I am writing on behalf of Kory Berrett, Objects Conservator at Berrett Conservation Studio in Pennsylvania.
We are attempting to locate vintage silk velveteen or short-napped velvet , burgundy, to replace fabric mounted
 on several 12" square frames.
 The fabric that is on them is a very worn silk velvet, very short nap,  that has reached the end of its life.
The frames belong to a museum collection and they wish to have the fabric replaced, and want  replacement
fabric as close as possible in fiber and appearance to the original.  The original is a very short-napped silk velvet, l
ike a velveteen, in a blue-toned burgundy (as opposed to an orange-toned burgundy.)

If anyone can help us locate vintage silk velvet, short napped, in burgundy, please contact me off-list.  I will be most grateful.

Sincerely,

Pat Keller

Patricia Keller, Curator
Berrett Conservation Studio
401 Covered Bridge Lane
Oxford, PA  19363
berrett@xxxxxxxx
(610) 932-2425 phone
(610) 932-8955 fax (voice contact required prior to sending fax)