Re: faded embroidered silk

Jennifer,

A description of the method for painting Irgalan dyes onto silk crepeline, that Joanne referred to,  can be found in the Textile Conservation Newsletter, Spring 1995, pp. 5-8 ("Painting Irgalan Dyes onto Silk Crepeline"). A study of the fastness properties was published in the ICOM Textile Working Group Newsletter, No. 13, 1/1997, pp. 12-14 ("Light Fastness of Irgalan and Lanaset Dyed Silk: Immersion vs Direct Application, Results of a Preliminary Study", co-authored with Season Tse). This was subsequently reprinted, upon request, in the Textile Conservation Newsletter, No. 33, Fall, 1997, pp. 14-18.

The method, and variations, have been used and described by others as well. See Cruickshank, P.,  Harrison A., and Fields, J. 2002. "From Excavation to Display: The Conservation of Archaeological Textiles from an AD First-third Century Cemetary Site in Jordan", The Conservator, No. 26, 2002, pp. 43-55;  Harrison, A., Cruickshank, P. and Fields, J.  2001.  "Localised colouring agents for textile suport fabrics: an investigation into their colour-fastness. SCCR Journal,  12, pp. 16-20; Clayton, S., Dodd, W., Gill, V., and Kirkpatrick, B. 2003. "Clear as Mud: How Cultural Significance Determines Preservation Choices", in Tales in the Textile: The conservation of flags and other symbolic textiles . Albany: North American Textile Conservation Conference, pp.23-30; Redman, L., 1995. "TCN Report on Paint Procedure", Textile Conservation Newsletter, Spring, p. 8.

If you decide to go this route and have any questions about the procedure, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Jan Vuori

Textile Conservator
Canadian Conservation Institute
1030 Innes Road
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada K1A 0M5
Tel: (613) 998-3721 ext. 275
Fax: (613) 998-4721
email: jan_vuori@xxxxxxxxx
www.cci-icc.gc.ca

Joanne Hackett <JHackett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Textile Conservators <TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

04/14/2006 10:06 AM

Please respond to
Textile Conservators <TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: faded embroidered silk

Jennifer,
Can I point you to "Texture/Color/Surface/Hand - Developments in Loss Compensation for Textiles" by Dorothy Stites Alig, Julie Randolph, and Amanda Holden.  In AIC news, May 2003, Volume 28, no. 3.  The article explains the use of an airbrush and fabric paints/acrylic paints to tone fills and overlays when compensating for losses and holes.  I think that you may be able to selectively tone an overlay of stabiltex or silk crepeline with dark blue paints to minimize the appearance of fading.  You could also look at "When Patching is Impractical: Nontraditional Compensation for Loss in a Quilt" by Susan Schmalz, in the AIC TSG Postprints, June 1998 for a similar approach.
I know that Robin Hansen and Jan Vuori have used a system for selectively Dyeing crepeline using a steam bath and dyes in a gel medium, but I'm not sure where or when this system was published.  As I remember it is a very sophisticated way of producing a patterned overlay.

Joanne Hackett
Associate Texile Conservator
Indianapolis Museum of Art.

>>> jazemanek@xxxxxxxxx 04/14 9:03 AM >>>

I am working on an embroidered silk, four paneled screen.  Apparently for years the glass covering one of these silk panels had broken and was missing in three areas.  As a result, there is now significant fading of a very deep blue color where the glass is no longer protecting the silk.  My client is interested in minimizing this fading.

I am wondering if anyone could share their experience of a similar problem and how they successfully treated it.

Thank you so much,
Jennifer A. Zemanek
Upholstery Conservator