Tour to see purple Murex dyeing in Oaxaca, Mexico

This message is posted for Christina Ritschel who invites TexCons members
attending NATCC to join her:

>>> Christina Ritschel <ritsch4@xxxxxxxxx> 10/06/05 12:27PM >>>Tour to see
purple Murex dyeing in Oaxaca:

This is an announcement for people traveling to Oaxaca, Southern Mexico,
before the NATCC conference in November. I have arranged a private tour to
see an indigenous shell dyer perform purple Murex dyeing at the cost of
Puerto Angel. It is the same dyeing principal as the Murex  dyeing performed
in the Mediterranean regions centuries ago. The tradition has survived in
Oaxaca because the dye material from the Murex species there can be "milked"
periodically and it is not necessary to kill for the dye. Nevertheless, the
species are declining and the dyeing is restricted to be performed by
members of the indigenous communities.

For more reading on the subject I recommend this articles by Ludwig Naegel
of the Centro Interdisciplinario de Ciencias Marinas, Instituto Politecnico
Nacional, Baja California Sur.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0QPU/is_1_23/ai_n10298933

The tour will start on the morning of the 4th of Nov. It is limited to
8-10 participants and it is a fixed price of $500 that will be split
among us. From Puerto Angel we will be picked up by our guide, drive to a
small port and take a boat to the beach where we will meet the shell dyer.
There will be a chance to enjoy the beach and a picnic lunch later.

The closest airport is Santa Maria Huatulco, which is an hour from Mexico
City and about 40 miles from Puerto Angel. Puerto Angel can also be reached
by bus (6-8 hours) from Oaxaca City.

Please contact me if you could like to join the tour or have any
questions about it. Hope to see you there
Christina Ritschel
ritsch4@xxxxxxxxx
(302) 562-4010
Yahoo! for Good