imitation leather

 Dear colleagues,

finishing my studies at the faculty of design and restoration, department of restoration of textiles, at the university of applied sciences in Cologne, Germany, I am currently working on my diploma thesis titled “Synthetic leather in fashion. A study from the view of restoration”. Starting point of my thesis is a red coat of synthetic leather from 1968/69. This coat is manufactured of alkyd resin and shows efflorescences of fatty acids on the surface.

Starting from this object, I would like to provide an overview of types of synthetic leather and synthetic materials relevant in the field of restoration of textile and how they are to be treated. Beside a review of literature I am conducting enquiries about damaged objects in museums in order to gain information as diverse as possible. Another substantial aspect of my thesis should be experiences and needs of information in practice of restoration. Therefore, I address myself to you asking for support.

Attached I send you a questionnaire of one page. I tried to formulate it as brief as possible. Hence, it should take about five minutes to fill it in. I would be thankful if you would send the completed questionnaire back to me. Since it is no online-questionnaire, please save the filled in questionnaire and add it again as attachment.

Thank you very much in advance

Yours sincerely,

Sabine Kißler