Scanning

Title: Scanning

Hello,
I am wondering whether anyone on the list is aware of any technical studies that may have been done regarding the effect of scanning textiles to capture digital images.  I have a client who scanned her early 19th c. embroidered samplers as part of her geneology records.  Another client recently showed me part of an article from "Martha Stewart Living - Nov. 2002" that mentions scanning photos and documents as a way of "preserving" the originals.  The article also shows an illustration of a christening gown that states that it was made by exposing the gown on photographic paper.  Thanks.

Sandy Troon
Textile Conservator
Oregon Textile Workshop
9745 SW 163rd Avenue