felt research

Hello!

I am working on my master's thesis at the University of Rhode Island program on the conservation of Central Asian felt saddle cloths. I am looking for aid and advice.

First, I would like to know if anyone knows of any felt saddle cloths or other animal trappings (camel or mule covers) in collections. They may be listed under the name of the people who produced them, which could be but is not limited to Uzbek, Afghan, Yomud, Baluch, Tadjik, Kyrgyz, Kazakh, Turkmen, etc.

Secondly, I would like advice from anyone who has ever worked on felt as to what sort of methods they used, especially for cleaning and support of weak or torn areas, and how successful they felt these treatment were.

Any help at all would be fantastic. I am trying to ascertain what information is out there and what sort of methods have been tried.

My e-mail is willowgee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you!
Willow Mullins