Re: Dye for support fabrics/reactive dyes

Dear Meg-

Yes I am sorry that I did not mention the Ciba-Geigy documents
publication date, that was because being for internal Ciba-Geigy use
they did not have dates. They seemed fairly recent in 1995.

It seems to me that if reactively dyed fabrics could deteriorate in
storage they were highly likely to deteriorate during the twenty or
thirty years that you might expect a conservation treatment to last; I
do not think that large towns are noticeably less polluted now than in
1995. I am not sure that zeolites will act as scavengers for hydrogen
chloride; activated charcoal will, but so will most fibre polymers and
the dye will be in closer contact with the fibres than with activated
charcoal.

Nothing was said in the documents about acid hydrolysis being the result
of improper dyeing techniques. I think that there are analogies with
weighted silk but that they are not very strong.

On the subject of Health and Safety, most of the dyes I have ever used
have been no more than respiratory sensitisers, but the nuisance of
multicoloured hands should not be underestimated!

In message <3C8D8C50.6C7D40B8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, M. Geiss-Mooney
<mgmooney@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes