Re: Dye for support fabrics

Dear Erica:

I suggest you read my note in Conservation News No58 November 1995:
Lightfastness and stability of Reactive Dyes vs direct Dyes and the
implications for dyeing support fabrics.

The main problem with reactive dyes in my opinion, is their chemical
stability. Since they are known to oxidise and produce hydrogen halides
I do not feel they are suitable for Textile Conservation. [The most
common Hydrogen halide is hydrochloric acid]

I wrote the note as a result of reading the Ciba-Geigy literature with
great care, and I have yet to come across any information to make me
change my mind.
--
Janet Farnsworth