Sheepskin

I have been trying to locate a source for a particular breed of sheepskin.
I am conserving a sculpture that is essentially upholstered in black(really
a very dark brown)sheepskin with the hair/fur intact.  The original skin is
totally dessicated and disintegrating, the hair/fur falling out.  I went to
a sheep and wool fair in Rhinbeck, NY and after speaking with many breeders
and spinners it was surmised that the sheep was a Karashire or Cross which
I've been told is a very old, fat tail type breed.  The sculpture is from
France, where I imagine these sheep are a bit more common than here!  I have
found a spinner who has some of these sheep and was going to supply me with
two skins after the spring culling but unfortunately the tanners burned the
skins.  I will follow any lead that comes my way!  I've had this sculpture
in the studio so long I've named it.

Carol Kropnick
Amann Conservation