Re: term definition (foxing & crocking)

Gee, I use the term "foxing" to describe the rusty brown circular spots on cellulosic material whether they occur on paper or cotton. Hideo Arai identified and characterized the source as from absolute tonophilic (xerophilic fungi) that react at certain conditions. Of course, that doesn't mean my use of the term is correct! I checked the BCHIN files & there are 117 references to foxing (Mary Lou Florian, etc). There is 1 to foxy and the reference is to the differences in tanning Harness Leather. This suggests that foxing is more widely used in conservation, but again, that doesn't mean that foxy isn't a textile term. What literature sources do you have? 19th or 20th century? There are some great terms around. It would be nice to track this down.
As to crocking, there are test methods for crocking (dye transfer by rubbing) set down by the American Association of Textile Chemists & Colorists www.aatcc.org In this context, crocking refers to the lack of rub fastness of the dye, rather than to the condition of the fabric. That's not to say that there haven't been other regional usages of the word! Mary