term definition

        I've noticed from time to time the use of foxing on this list and hope someone can enlighten me and provide the correct use of this word.
       Not too long ago a textile teacher or expert chatised an internet discussion list for using the term foxing to denote red staining on fabric. She said foxing was a book dealers term for stained pages and should remain in that that field.
      The correct term on this side of the ocean was foxy or more precisely foxy color cotton, and especially applied to raw cotton. She pointed out that while British used foxing, the American equivalent was foxy and that was the word to use.
     I've looked up foxy in all my textile books and foxy is described per her words. Several references also included foxing as the British form.
     So by way of clarification, to me at least, which word does the professional element in the colonies use? It sure would help me in any future discussions.
      Another knocked about word is crocking which some teachers are using to denote holes caused by bad dye procedures. I thought that was a term to denote dye rubbing off onto another substance for the same reason. What would be the correct word case if crocking as a hole causer is incorrect?
     Always appreciate the wisdom of this list.