Re: Needlework on perforated paper

You could  consider using a suction table with a sealed hood or tent connected
to an ultra-sonic humidifier. Paper conservators use this construction to
"wash" art on paper without disturbing loose pigments. As I understand it,
water vapor is drawn through the embroidered paper in a relatively gentle way
but with a greater cleaning power due to the small size of the water drops in
relation to their surface area. As the object does not become soaking wet,
there is supposed to be less risk of structural damage. It may be possible to
add a detergent to the water. I would think that a soil anti-deposition agent
would not be nesessary because the soiled water is removed instantaneously. The
suction should also make rinsing more effective.

I don't have any references from the paper conservation field. For cleaning
tapestries in a similar way see the following:
Timar-Balazsy, A., & Eastop, D.,  International perspectives in textile
conservation, ICOM-CC textiles Working Group meetings, 1994 and 1995, Archetype
Publications, London,1998

   * Barnett, J.C., The use of a domestic water extracting vacuum cleaner in
     the wet cleaning of carpets and tapestries
   * Maes. Y., Tapestry cleaning by aerosol suction. (the cleaning principle of
     aerosol suction is explained)

As for supporting  the piece, backing with Japanese paper and starch paste is
worth considering.
I have a similar piece awaiting treatment so I look forward to hearing your
results.
good luck!
Jenny Barnett