Masonite replacement

To replace masonite as a textile framing backboard, what are you recommending? I am concerned about the ability of the air (i.e. relative humidity) to be exchanged and am thinking in terms of the new napped cotton flannel from testfabrics against an outside perforated aluminum screen. Any other ideas? Am I inventing a square wheel? Suggestions would be appreciated! Mary