dyes

      I need help about a dye and have very little information to
supply. Supposedly during one period in history [suspect that this is
1870 or later] a certain dye was used on silk which eventually caused
its deterioration. This is aside from chemical weighting.
     It may have been used on other fabrics and have been just as
injurious. I need to know the name of this type of dye, if indeed there
is one, and a good book[s] on dyes for reference and anything any of you
can supply off the top of your heads.  Sorry to be so meager with facts.
Thanx.