Nylon Net

This message follows from my question of last December concerning a North
American source for nylon net similar to that available in the UK.  As several
of you have told me, there is only one source of a net of this calibre and
that is:

Dukeries Textiles and Fancy Goods
Spenica House
15A Melbourne Rd.
West Bridgford, Nottingham  NG2 5DJ
UK
phone: 011 44 115 9816 330
fax: 011 44 115 9816 440

Apparently they have the only loom in the world that is still capable of
making such net.  The net sells for 50 pounds sterling a metre.  Being 540 cm
wide, however, this price is not much different from that of Stabiltex.

Jan Vuori of the Canadian Conservation Institute also told me about
Farthingales
(www.farthingales.on.ca) which sells a nice variety of white, off-white, and
black fabrics including several types of net plus silks, linens, cottons,
interfacings and various supplies for costume makers (fabric samples available
for $10). Farthingales sells a very nice nylon net veiling of bobbinet
construction, 120" wide, for $9.00/yard.  The net is very soft and fine, much
finer than anything carried in the local fabric shops, but still not as fine
as the net sold by Dukeries Textiles.

The Dukeries net is of a similar weight and sheerness to the nylon tulle of
diamond opening construction that is readily available in fabric stores.  I
have been told that some conservators are using this tulle for treatment
purposes.  I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used both and
could compare the results.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Irene Karsten

Doctoral Student in Textile Conservation
Department of Human Ecology
3-02 Human Ecology Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta