RE: Rolling tubes

Hi Nancy,
We have huge collections of plant fibre mats and tapa and roll them all
successfully on nonarchival rolls with diameter of at least 310, but
preferably 315 mm. For a barrier we use polyester batting and Tyvek.  Yes,
pandanus is a leaf which is used extensively in the Pacific.
  I do not recommend folding fibrous materials at all  !! Folded mats are
one of this conservator's
nightmares as relaxing these objects to get the folds removed is  physically
a  large as well as a time consuming task . The localised humidity treatment
and weighting to remove the curl after coming off the roll is  a breeze
compared with the former.
I hope this is of help.
Valerie Carson
Te Papa Museum of New Zealand