Labeling and barcoding

Hello Everyone -

For a number of years, we have typed or written accession numbers and other
information onto ribbon or twill tape, and basted these onto the garments
and textiles in our collection. We had a discussion the other day which
brought up the following questions:

- is anyone using Tyvek for historical clothing/textile labels?  Are there
any problems with it? or tricks we should know about? We're particularly
interested in whether/not we could do our labels on the computer and print
them onto the Tyvek. I suppose that the ink is the question here.....
- is anyone using barcodes for historical clothing/textile collections?  If
so, are you using them on labels applied to the item, or just on storage
materials.
- is anyone using any other kind of computer-generated labels for historical
clothing/textiles?

You can reply directly to me or to the list, marym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mary E. Montgomery
Associate Curator/Librarian