Re: ociclean

Joan,

Are you concerned about museum artifacts, or is this about the old tablecloth or antique dress that was rescued from a yard sale?

Perhaps this product is the combination of enzymes and something like sodium percarbonate (which I understand is more effective than sodium perborate). Perhaps the cleaning procedures are more effective (a longer soaking?, warmer water?). Perhaps it is only a little better than a commercial detergent. By definition, if it was the subject of an infomercial, it had to be miraculous! My guess is that it's a clever combination of common ingredients, very cleverly sold.

The question is one of cost vs benefit. If it works, and revives an otherwise lost garment, why not use it? The equation would be very different if you were treating the Shroud of Turin (a popular 14'th century tourist attraction now turned into a papal infomercial, to be sure). I think a professional conservator would have very little freedom to say anything in the abstract. Unless they have solid data about the chemicals involved, tests done, and long-term effects, how could they respond? (I however, am prone to writing this kind of note.) Good luck!

Jerry Shiner
Forever Yours Bridal Gown Preservation
www.gowncare.com  800 683-4696

Joan Kiplinger wrote:
     Need some pro opinions. A new book out on rescuing vintage textiles
recommends using OxiClean to remove stains and brighten. This product is
an enzyme/oxygen cleaner with no toxic chemcials, cleaning solvents or
harmful abrasives and can only be used on cotton or linen. It apparently
steps in if sodium perborate can't do the job. Has anyone heard of using
this cleaner on on old fabric and is it safe? I would appear hesitant
using on delicate heirlooms after watching OxiClean informercial. But
what about old barkcloth drapes, table cloths, etc. where appearance is
vital when in use.  Would there be any long-term effects? Author claims
that many 1940s-50s tablecloths and curtains she thought were destined
for the trash can were miracously restored. Any help is appreciated.

Jerry Shiner
Object & Textile Conservation Services Ltd. O/A
Keepsafe Systems & Forever Yours Gown Bridal Preservation
Visit www.gowncare.com