rug padding, and protective runners

Hello,

First, I am seeking information on rug padding suitable for large and small
rugs within historic environments.  My chief concerns are off-gassing and
physical deterioration impacting the artifact above.

Second, our interpreters are sometimes required to step on historic rugs
during tours.  I was hopeing to use the clear plastic runners that were used
in so many of our homes during the 1960's and 1970's.  I believe they were
expecially prevelant in the New York, New Jersey area. Does anyone have any
insight into their stability?

Thanks so much for your time everyone.

Ann Frisina

e-Mail: ann.frisina@xxxxxxxx