padded hangers

Mary Montgomery wrote:

> And while I have everyone's attention, is there current common wisdom on the
> making of padded hangers for garments?  I've heard that the internal hanger
> must be wood, or shouldn't be, or plastic is fine if covered with inert
> batting and muslin, or plastic is a no-no regardless.  Please advise.....

For what it's worth the National Park Service publishes the following
pamphlet on "Storage techniques for hanging garments: Padded
Hangers"

http://www.cr.nps.gov/csd/publications/conserveogram/04-05.pdf

If you can't get directly to the .pdf, go to the list of publications:
http://www.cr.nps.gov/csd/publications/conserveogram/cons_toc.html

This was pretty much the technique used in the museum I worked
in as a student, but that was a long time ag.

Susan Fatemi

--
susanf@xxxxxxxxxx
susanf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx