From: Martyniak, Cathleen L [mailto:cathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:31 AM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [padg] FW: Newspaper Interest Group - Chicago 2009

Please excuse any duplication.

-----Original Message-----
From: NEH-LC National Digital Newpaper Program [mailto:NDNP@xxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Somay, Errol (LVA)
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:06 PM
To: NDNP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [NDNP] Newspaper Interest Group - Chicago 2009

For those who may be going to ALA annual in Chicago, I hope you will
consider attending...   -errol s.

ALCTS
Newspaper Interest Group
Saturday, July 11, 2009.
1:30-3:00 pm
Chicago Hilton Hotel - Lake Huron Room
- - - -

We have a wonderfully diverse group of speakers for the Chicago Annual
Conference, so please join us to learn about the newspaper industry and
about state, national, and international efforts to preserve and provide
on-line access to historical newspapers.

Agenda

Frederick Zarndt, President, Planman Consulting, Inc. will give a
presentation on the varied array of international digital initiatives, both
completed and currently underway. Mr. Zarndt has a deep background working
with a wide range of institutions and organizations around the world whose
focus is often on large scale projects with the goal to provide optimum
access to its newspapers. A few of the projects involve in-copyright
newspapers.

Lou Ransom, Executive Editor, the Chicago Defender will provide a brief
history as well as a unique behind the scenes look at a local newspaper
publishing institution. Mr. Ransom's column, "Ransom Notes," is a regular
feature of the Defender. Mr. Ransom will be happy to answer questions after
his presentation.

Becky Ryder, Head, Preservation Services, University of Kentucky, is the
director of  a daunting initiative to provide online access to the renowned
Daily Racing Form, often called the Bible of Horse Racing. Attendees will
hear a saga that spans years in Ms Ryder's tireless effort to digitize the
"DRF."

Teri Sierra, Assistant Chief - Serials and Government Publications Division,
the Library of Congress, will provide an update on what's going on at the
Library of Congress in the realm of newspaper preservation and access.

I hope there will be time to hear from our colleagues about activities
related to the newspaper industry and/or to newspaper access and
preservation,

-Errol S. Somay, Chair.

Errol S. Somay
Director, Virginia Newspaper Project & Digital Newspaper Program | The
Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA 23219 | errol.somay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx