[padg] Re: RE: barcodes on cloth

We started putting barcodes on the outside back cover a couple of years ago.  The barcodes don't stick well to soft cloths like silk and brushed cotton so we purchased protectors to cover them.  (Gaylord barcode protector LA-GL12R, 1.5 mil)  For those covers where a barcode label would not/should not be applied, we make a 3" wide sleeve from polyester scrap that fits over the cover and apply the barcode to it.

Patricia Selinger
Head, Preservation Department
VCU Libraries
Box 842033
Richmond, VA  23284-2033

patricia.selinger@xxxxxxx
804.828.1096  phone

"Davis, Sue" <susan.w.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

05/21/2009 09:25 AM

Please respond to
padg@xxxxxxx

<padg@xxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[padg] RE: barcodes on cloth

We’ve used barcodes on the outside back covers for years and I’ve heard of only a handful of cases where the barcode just won’t stick.  We’ve recently started purchasing more Asian materials and I haven’t heard of any problems with them specifically.  The only “not sticking” problem I recall is when one of our libraries (which shall remain anonymous) put the barcodes on the curved spines.  And, because the barcodes popped off when the books were flexed open, the staff then covered the barcodes with a nice, big piece of clear tape.

I, too, cringe, when we have to put barcodes on old, rotting leather.  Or, worse, directly on text blocks when there are missing covers.  The Preservation Police (meaning me) sometimes arrive too late.

_________

Sue Davis