[padg] Fragile Books: To Lend or not to Lend?

I was recently notified of a request for an ILL of several mid-19th century volumes. The items are all in fair condition with the binding intact but fragile and they showed some spine damage and moderately brittle pages.

I briefly researched their monetary value (low) and looked for additional copies on Worldcat (many) and their circulation record at my institution (nil).  So, since these items were marked as “circulating”, I made the decision to allow them to be borrowed.  I tied each item with cotton string, packed them securely in a box marked “fragile” and included a memo to the borrower noting their condition and requiring that they be handled carefully and repacked exactly they arrived.

I now feel the need, however, to clarify our lending policy regarding fragile materials like these. On one hand, we have a number of fragile, circulating items in the stacks--some are tied, some are boxed—-and I’m not prepared to deny  ILL patrons those materials that on-site borrowers can  check out.  On the other hand, fragile materials degrade noticeably with each use, so the last thing they need is the additional transportation and handling of ILL.

I’d like some feedback: Does it make sense to restrict some fragile items from circulating through ILL or to restrict *all* fragile items from circulating at all? I really dislike restricting circulation unless items are rare or valuable, but I want to balance access with preservation.

Any thoughts?

Ross